Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day For the Geritol Set



Romance certainly does not have to end with one's advancing years. Hope springs eternal. I don't have a sweetheart, as such, in my life nor have I joined a geriatric dating service. If someone comes my way, it will be chance or fate and that is fine. I can do without chocolates and roses on February 14th. I manage nice wine and occasional champagne with good friends and even do dinner out.

I realize, on Valentine's Day, that, at my age, I don't really need much. I only have so many fingers and I have enough rings for all of them and quite a few extra. My collection of romantic CDs of wonderful music will last the rest of my life. I'm surrounded by treasures I've collected that give me a surge of joy when I look at them. I have eaten chocolate, truffles and marzipan in some of the most incredible places in the world ( as my ample waistline proves ) and I've strolled under a full moon in Paris, Sydney, Bangkok and Barcelona, for starters. I know how to say "I love you" in several languages and have had it said to me in on Valentine's Day in far off  lands.  I think that, for me, as for many older people, cherished memories are what make Valentine's so special. If we have lost our partners or don't have some one with us presently, we may not really feel lonely because we are blessed with memories, loved ones and friends who are there every day, not just a February date on the calendar. I might not don a beautiful red dress  on February 14th, open a bottle of Perrier Jouet and dance under the stars, but I am perfectly content. It is nice to be remembered with a call, a card or email but I may not be home. I might just be with one of my friends, celebrating in my own way - and, by the way, I wish YOU love.



I realize this song is about breaking up but it is beautiful and it will make you appreciate what you have, perhaps, so that you will cherish it all that much more this Valentine's day!

13 comments:

  1. A lovely post and the sentiment is just right - Valntines day shouldn't be about spending money anyway, it should be about the thoughts. Just read your profile - wow all those cruises, I've done three in the past year and looking forward to the next one in a few weeks! Who knows maybe I'll dance ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these wonderful thoughts about the true meaning of Saint Valentine's Day and that beautiful song, what a voice!

    Regarding the Schokolade König chocolate shop, yes, they make also their very own marzipan! I have a picture or two, I will try to include them in one of my posts. I need to return to the store, the interior is out of this world, original from the 1840s (it was a buttons store before). The images I took last week are a wee bit dark and I think this special store (and their gracious owners!) deserve better pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmen love begins with loving ourselves first, and appreciating all we've accomplished in our lives, and so you have a lot to celebrate today. You have wonderful sons, a long and distinguished career, many fine friends, fabulous cruise memories and now blogger friends from all around the world who admire you!
    ♥ Happy Valentine's Day!♥
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sentiment about Valentine..I'm perfectly fine with just me and my son. There are many different kind of love..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I love your outlook! You have indeed been blessed with many wonderful things in life. I'll count myself fortunate if I do 1/4 of those things!!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dance under those stars...smiles. happy valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the message in this post Carmen, about contentment, I hope you will have a wonderful Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post and so agree...Valentine's Day can be fun and full of wonderful memories.
    I wish you your best Valentine's Day every..
    .........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. We wish you a lovely Valentine's Day. May you always have eye shadow in case Fate comes knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy valentines day
    one should not spend foolishly whatever cause

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post sweetie!! You have Indeed been fortunate to have gotten to travel to so many great places!!
    Now pass the chocolate!!!Hahaa
    Happy Valentine's Day!!
    ((HUG))

    ReplyDelete
  12. My boyfriend/fiance and I have been together for over a decade, but this is the first time we've been apart for Valentine's Day - he is in Europe on tour with one of the two rock bands he plays guitar for. And the odd thing is I'm totally cool with it, which I never thought I would be - I always thought there were three days not to be messed with: my birthday, New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day. I dunno, maybe that came from insecurity. But being in a longterm stable relationship, it really doesn't seem all that important. I have absolutely no plans for February 14 - I'll get a Skype call from Brian if the WiFi connection allows. He already sent me flowers today. And he'll be back in a week. I really don't need anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. easternsparkle -
    How lovely to see you here! What ships have you sailed on and where? Isn't cruising wonderful?


    Merisi - I had such a nice surprise the other day. My Swiss friend ( he has a home in southern CA, though ) who is a food and beverage manager for Royal Caribbean ) sent me two large dark chocolate marzipan bars the other day! I've already finished both! Shame on me!


    Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti -
    You are one of the gems in this blogging world. I am so happy I ended up meeting you since, in cyberspace, on can go forever without
    encountering those special people. Destiny, I guess it was.


    Icy BC -
    I was home alone most of the day but it was nice. Jeremy's sweetheart was here from Cal Poly and they brought me CHEESCAKE from their lunch at the Cheesecake Factory ( he said they were bringing me a carrot ) - he's so funny.


    Bits-n-Pieces -
    I've been moaning and groaning this past year about my misfortune in losing my job but, in reality, your comment reminds me that I have had many really wonderful things in my life! Thank you.


    Brian Miller -
    No dancing under the stars - I spent the whole day at the computer and started packing for my 3 weeks at my mom's in GA - sad task of trying to put her in assisted living!


    betchai -
    Hope you had a lovely day. I watched a movies, stayed on the computer and napped...not bad when one doesn't have a sweetheart!


    Bernie -
    I did try to remember some of my best Valentine's Days...there were quite a few!! Some were on the seven seas...actually, lots of my best days have been on ships, or sailing to great places.


    Margie -
    You are the sweetest. You know, I told my boys I had to be cremated because no mortician would be able to do my eyeshadow properly!


    sm -
    I have to confess, there are times I have been a wee bit foolish with money - and also, foolish in love!


    Donna -
    No chocolate today though nagging Jeremy, my youngest, brought me Cheesecake factory Macadamia White Chocolate cheesecake. Now I'll have to do treadmill duty!


    Janiss -
    What better Valentine could you have than a great guy who loves you, no matter where in the world he may be!!

    ReplyDelete