Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th of July - Home To The USA - July 4, 2011



It's almost 2AM here in the San Francisco area and, already, I can hear
firecrackers going off.  I guess some folks must have been out on the
town and have decided not to wait until tonight to celebrate our
country's independence from England.  I have no special plans
myself.  I've been busy shredding papers all day, going through
boxes and trying to tidy up a bit before my dear friend of forty-
nine years, Martha Genin, arrives on Wednesday.  That is cause, in
itself, for celebration. 

My oldest son, Shawn, just got back late tonight, from a weekend with
friends in Las Vegas so I suspect he may sleep away the 4th.  My
youngest son, Jeremy, stopped by briefly this evening after an
afternoon of fishing and crabbing with a friend on the Pacific ( they
threw back their catch ) and Alex, my middle son, who lives a hundred
miles away in West Sacrmento is working.  That's all fine by me.
I celebrate the 4th in my heart, glad, in spite of all the problems we
face in the United States, that I am an American. 

Everyone knows, I am sure, how much I love to travel and I've been
truly blessed in that I have, until the loss of my job three years ago,
been to practically every corner of the globe.  The cherishd memories
of the beauty of this earth, the wonderful people I've met along the
way, the delights I've experienced will forever be with me.  Yet, when
all is said and done, it is always good to return to my homeland, this
country that I love above all, these fifty states that make up America.

One of the first poems in my book of poetry, "Life's Journey" which
was published in May of 2010 is called, "Home To The U.S.A.".
I may have printed it in my blog before but, today, on the 4th of
July, I am repeating it.  I love you, America!



Home to the USA


I*ve traveled all about this world,
And seen sights most sublime,
The marble towers of the Taj,
And set my watch by Big Ben’s time.

I stood in awe at the Acropolis,
Drank wines thoughout Bordeaux,
Sailed past the Sydney Opera House,
Played black jack in Monaco.

I’ve watched a Barbados sunset,
Rode the Star Ferry in Hong Kong,
I saw exotic dancers in Bali,
Heard Bangkok temple bells gong.

I marveled at David in Florence,
Prayed at a mosque in Brunei,
Danced tango in Buenos Aires,
Sampled samosas in far Mumbai.

Yet, no matter where I travel,
And how far afield I roam,
It feels good to return to America,
The best country of  all – for it’s home.

Carmen Henesy

Copyright (c) 2005 Carmen Henesy.
All Rights Reserved


I am participating in Mellow Yellow Monday #128 -
add your post and join in the fun!


15 comments:

  1. That reflects true patriotism. Happy Independence Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you Happy Independence day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July!
    Greetings from India!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a beautiful poem. thanks for sharing, Carmen. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Fourth to you. Love that header photo of the romneya, I think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home is (usually) always the best place to be!


    RED OR YELLOW?

    If you have a penchant for red,
    Then scarlet will go to your head;
    But if it is gold
    You’d rather behold,
    Then plant yellow roses instead.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Callejon (Alley)

    ReplyDelete
  7. and a good home it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent poem. I'm glad it's my home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful poem Carmen.

    Hope you had a wonderful celebration.

    Melow Yellow at my page,have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Hope you had a great Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful poem, Carmen! It's more important to feel it in the heart than just on the outside..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hows the celebration of the 4th of July? I hope you had a wonderful time with friends and families.
    Thanks for visiting and leaving a nice message.

    Cheers and blessings,
    Tess @ life is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Priyanka Bhowmick -
    I am happy you liked my "Home to the USA" - my country first in my heart - but India second!

    Tess -
    I had a very quiet 4th but am celebrating now for two weeks with the visit of my lifelong ( well, 49 years ) best friend, Meaux!

    Rajesh -
    Many thanks for the Independence Day wishes...sorry I am a little slow acknowledging them!

    Icy BC -
    It pleases me that you liked "Home to the USA" - I love to travel but I always feel that since of happiness when I go through US customs and that agent says, "Welcome, home".

    Indrani -
    It was a very quiet but pleasant Independence Day for me. I appreciate the good wishes from you and my other Indian friends.

    Sheila @ A Postcard a Day -
    By nightime on the 4th of July, my area was all
    fogged in and I couldn't even spot the San Francisco fireworks displays...but I could hear them! By the way, I got that wonderful postcard from you. What a treat!

    SG -
    I really enjoyed writing that poem, "Home To The
    USA", penned after a great trip and feeling truly happy to get home to my own bed!

    Luna Miranda -
    Thank you for the visit and taking the time to read "Home To The USA"!

    magiceye -
    Somehow, the 4th was always more fun when my three boys were little. Fireworks displays are much more magical when seen with little ones!

    Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA -
    Yes, Romnyea! I talked about it in one of my blogs recently. I love that flower and, though I am 66-years-old, I only saw it for the first time last year! They are really striking flowers!

    Magical Mystical Teacher -
    As much as I love to travel, I do have to agree with that old adage, "There's no place like home!"

    Ratty -
    To this day, I still get a lump in my throat whenever I hear the Stars Spangled Banner and other patriotic songs!

    chubskulit -
    My 4th was totally peaceful with all my sons grown and out of the house! I was alone, didn't even venture out. I kind of enjoyed the soitude!

    ReplyDelete